Sunday, April 15, 2012

Winter wilderness

I%26#39;m visiting Alaska frfom the UK 6 - 16th January and I would really really like to spend some or most of that time away from the cities if possible, somewhere I can do some snowshoe walking. I posted in the Fairbanks forum in September (and got a lot of help, thank you everyone); but that was before I knew that there is a bus that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks 3 times a week in the winter. So now I am thinking about spending some time in one of the places on that route Talkeetna perhaps, or Healy. The problem with Talkeetna is that I can%26#39;t seem to find any taxi to travel between the Junction %26amp; the town. I know that there are a few places I could stay in both towns, but I wonder whether everywhere else would be shut down - would I find places to eat and hang out? Any advice would be welcome, either about the places I%26#39;ve mentioned or anywhere else. Thanks very much.



Winter wilderness


Hello there! I remember your first post. Gee - I am sure you could get a ride hitchhiking from the Talkeetna junction, but that can be iffy and not to mention cold.





Not much is happening in Healy in January, but if you are looking for peace and quiet, you would have that. There are only a few restaurants open - Rose%26#39;s and the Totem, as well as deli type food available at our gas stations. There are a few hotels and some B%26amp;B%26#39;s that are open year round, so you would be able to find somewhere to stay. You would be fairly stuck though without a car, unless you hitched rides . . . the Park is open, and you could snowshoe there or Healy, depending on snow cover. Just be prepared for bitter cold . . . today it%26#39;s about -22F. It%26#39;s usually colder in January. The aurora was out a few nights ago, and that was beautiful, so it really depends on what you are looking for. Not sure how much help that was, but I wish you the best of luck! If you need recommendations on where to stay, just let me know. :)



Winter wilderness


Thanks Coalminer, what would I do without you ? I have also seen your reply to mombear%26#39;s posting on snowshoeing in Denali, which was helpful. I am still looking for a ride to Talkeetna town and have heard Go Purple might help. Am also thinking about doing something with Earthsong Lodge. I find it very surprising that the traditional guide books are so poor with advice on Alaska in the winter. I don%26#39;t know which is worse: Lonely Planet saying almost nothing at all, or the Rough Guide telling me there is no bus service when there is. I%26#39;ve always wanted to visit your state and I%26#39;d rather the cold than the mosquitos.




camperfan - there is a unique beauty during winter in Alaska - because of the short daylight hours, we have long periods of Alpenglow - it%26#39;s very beautiful. And of course everyone lives to see the Northern lights! Hopefully, it%26#39;ll all work out for you. Yes, you would enjoy Earthsong - I didn%26#39;t know they were open in the winter - Jon is a very experienced dog musher - you%26#39;ll enjoy time there. I hope the rest of your planning works out - wish I could help you more. I have occasionally glanced at Alaskan travel books and it seems they tend to focus on just a few things, which is very limiting for any wanting more details. I just wish we had more folks here on Trip Advisor in some different areas - that would really broaden the information here on the forum. Good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment