Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Anchorage Restaurants

I%26#39;ll be in Anchorage next week and was wondering where I should go for good, local food. I would be interested in trying a place with the stereotypical local foods such as salmon and crab legs, but don%26#39;t want to spend a whole lot(not more than $25/meal). Any recommendations would be appreciated.





Thanks



Anchorage Restaurants


My favorite place for breakfast (you can also get lunch) is the Snow City Cafe in the downtown area. Not to burst your balloon, but you won%26#39;t be getting any crab legs for under $25 per meal, at least I have never seen them that cheap. You should be able to find some dinner places that have either salmon or halibut in that price range. Happy eating! :)



Anchorage Restaurants


A good place for under $25 nicely prepared salmon or halibut is Aladdin%26#39;s on the Old Seward at Tudor. It%26#39;s usually a special so you might want to call ahead and be sure they have on or the other on the menu that evening. They don%26#39;t usually make reservations and by 6:30 it%26#39;s pretty crowded most weekend evenings - they open at 5 if you don%26#39;t mind dining a bit early. Week nights aren%26#39;t quite as busy. I%26#39;d suggest lunch at places like Simon and Seafort%26#39;s downtown - same good food but better prices. Crab legs are really expensive these days - hey, Coalminer, I actually recall buffets here in Anchorage with all the King Crab fresh from Kodiak that you could eat for about $10! Okay, so I%26#39;m old. But those were the days!




One more vote for Aladdin restaurant.





kileysmom, thank you for reminding me about this place. We just happened to find this place last year. When we walked in nobody was there and we thought that was a bad news but decided to stay anyway because I love Mediterranean food. About 20 minutes later people started to arrive and soon all tables were occupied. As soon as we tasted our food we realized that we found a wonderful place with a great food and nice discreet service.





cwilker, if you are interested in learning more about this place go to http://www.aladdinsak.com/reviews.html





I found crab legs to be cheaper in our local market than in Alaska.










Thanks for the recommendations on the salmon and halibut! I%26#39;m not surprised that the crab legs are expensive in Alaska even though that%26#39;s where they%26#39;re caught, but I was hoping there might be some hole-in-the-wall place that might have something reasonably priced. I know when I went to Hawaii the pineapples were more expensive than I could get them in North Carolina. Anyways I hope I can get some more suggestions I always like trying local fare when I go somewhere. Chili%26#39;s and Applebees are the same no matter where you go!




We had a great lunch at the Peanut Farm this summer when I visited my sister in Anchorage......It%26#39;s a sport bar with dining overlooking a creek.......had wonderful fresh salmon and chowder.....veggies and salad were very fresh.......lunch prices were nowhere near $25 but I didn%26#39;t see the dinner menu.......




kiley%26#39;smom: Wouldn%26#39;t I love to find crab legs in a buffett!! :) You were most fortunate! I usually only get it once a year at the Turtle Club in Fairbanks - with a company gift certificate. :) I will have to try Aladdin%26#39;s someday - sounds great. I sure enjoy this forum - learn about all the good places to eat that you would never find out about just driving thru. Many thanks! :)




I tried a dinner at Simon %26amp; Seaport%26#39;s Restaurant, it was recommanded to us by a previous Sushi chef from Anchorage while we were in Denali, the seafood is great, especially halibut, but the price is really expensive though, I think a salmon dish or halibut dish is $25-26 alone and adding king crab will be another $15-$20 extra.




Just got back from a conferance in Anchorage. Ate at the Snow Goose one evening. It was nice, not too expensive and very yummy. They also have a micro brew. I had some type of Scottish medium dark and it was lovely, smooth as butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment