Monday, April 23, 2012

Ferry Service Schedule for 2007

I am planning a vacation to Alaska with my family (2 adults, 3 kids) I think we want to experience the Ferry system from what I have heard, plus less expensive with the 3 kids. We are also not cruise people. We are also planning on renting a car and spending the rest of the time (10 days) driving around. How do I find the Summer 2007 schedule for the ferry so I can get booked before it sells out? Then I can make flight/car reservations, etc...We want to travel in August.



Ferry Service Schedule for 2007


It鈥檚 a good idea not to go on a cruise, in my opinion. You only get a few hours in each port and then when you are in port you are herded around like cattle. Plus, if you go on the marine highway you get to decide where you want to go and for how long.





You should be able to find all the scheduling information that you need at the marine highway鈥檚 website: www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/schedres/index.html.





I鈥檇 recommend that you buy a guidebook to Alaska, which can help you figure out where you want to go, and what to do once you鈥檙e there. A great one for budget travelers is Alaska by Lonely Planet.





Here鈥檚 and idea for a 10 day itinerary for Seward and Denali (assuming that you get off the ferry in Seward):





Day 1: Transfer from ferry, rent car, see Sea Life center (Seward)



Day 2-3: Go on Kenai Fjords boat tour; Exit Glacier



Day 4: Take the scenic drive to Anchorage, see Alaska Zoo or one of the many other things to do there (Anchorage)



Day 5: Make the drive up to Denali (Denali)



Day 6-8: Bus Tour; hiking; possible rafting, etc



Day 9: Drive to Anchorage (Anchorage)



Day 10: Fly from Anchorage





Hope this helps!





Blue



Ferry Service Schedule for 2007


Don%26#39;t feel obligated to go on a cruise or go to every port that the ferry system includes in its itinerary. You can experience the Alaskan ferry by traveling between Whittier and Valdez. It is more frequent than the one that travels to Seward and it is more scenic as well. You can fly to Anchorage, rent a car and go from there. We can make suggestions but first tell us how old are your kids. You should also read posts on this forum on Anchorage, Denali National Park, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Valdez, Seward, Girdwood, Homer. There are more wonderful destinations and the hardest part of coming up with itinerary is what to chose. Definitely include Denali National Park. With 5 kids you may want to consider renting RV.







thttp://www.akmhs.com/schedules/



or call 1-800-382-9229




Thank you for your advice, our kids will be 13, 11, and 10. One of our friends had been stationed in Fairbanks, he told us to get the Milepost book. I just found this website and I am so excited. When I went to the Alaska ferry website I couldn%26#39;t find Aug 2007. I%26#39;ll check the recommended site next. We would consider an RV if it was small enough that I don%26#39;t feel like we%26#39;re driving a tank. I drive a suburban now, so I am used to a larger vehicle. I do want to make this trip exceptional for the kids, but on a budget. I look forward to everyones comments.




I don%26#39;t think the ferry schedule for 2007 has been released yet......probably best to check their website in January.......If you are going on the ferry as walk-on passengers (without a vehicle) you will not need advance reservations........the below deck space for cars and motorhomes fills up fast, though and that is why they stress advanced reservations......Your children are at a perfect age to really enjoy this trip......the ferry routes here in the SE have Forest Service rangers that give lectures and have special programs that involve the kids......bring binoculars for whale watching, comfortable hiking shoes/boots (nothing you won%26#39;t mind getting muddy), good raingear, take lots of pictures and make lots of memories !!




%26gt;%26gt;It鈥檚 a good idea not to go on a cruise, in my opinion. You only get a few hours in each port and then when you are in port you are herded around like cattle.%26lt;%26lt;





There%26#39;s a comment from soemone who has never been on a cruise. I%26#39;ve been on 4 Alaska cruises, and nobody herds me. I do, though, enjoy being treated like royalty for a week.





Murray




explorenorth06





I actually just returned from a cruise to the Mediterranean a month ago. When I went on tours of the cities and when I was traveling in general, I honestly felt like I was being herded. Of course, not all the excursions offered by the cruise lines are cattle herding affairs, and you can always go with and independent tour agency, or on your own. So it is possible to avoid that. Besides that, the cruise ships are fun, but I鈥檇 rather be in Alaska, seeing the sights than on the cruise ship.





I guess it really depends what you want. I would want an experience where you have plenty of time to just sit down and savor Alaska instead of rushing through it, so I would not cruise.





jre18





Sorry for the bad url鈥?I do believe mombear is right, the website hasn鈥檛 posted the 2007 schedules yet.





Here is a map on the marine highway鈥檚 website that is sort of interesting:





https:/鈥ap.html





Concerning RVing鈥?it鈥檚 a good idea if you don鈥檛 want to worry about restaurants or accommodations; you can just stay in any campsite or simply on the side of the road. When I was near Kenai Fjords National Park I just spent the night on the road into the park, with excellent views of Exit Glacier. :) However, I wouldn鈥檛 stay in any RV parks. I did so in Seward and decided that from there on campsites were a much better idea. I鈥檓 sure that your family will have a great time.





Places





It depends if one wants see the Inside Passage or not. If one just wants to do a ferry trip, then a cross gulf excursion would be a better idea. Seeing the Inside Passage would require open jaw air travel, which is considerably more expensive, and also seeing the passage isn鈥檛 an inexpensive affair. Probably the determining factor would be the amount of time for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment