Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hiking Mt. Roberts

Can anyone tell me about hiking Mount Roberts with 2 children.

Can you ride the tram up and then hike further?

Hiking Mt. Roberts

There are very well marked hiking trails on Mt. Roberts, hike as far as you want, downhill on the way back to the tram. :)

Hiking Mt. Roberts

I hiked from town to the tram upper terminal August 2nd. I am 69 and took about 1.75 hours of steady climbing in the typical light rain. Continuous switch backs, good footing, steep. Trail is in good condition and did not seem treacherous even in the rain. Caution would be the word with children or even adults because this is a steep trail. This is a beautiful walk in the forrest and the view from the top is better having walked up. I did not hike the upper trails, but my sense is that they are scenic and not as steep beacuse they go to other places ';on top';. If you hike up, you may ride down by presenting a ticket showing you spent $5 in the gift shop at the top.

Best wishes,

Rodger


I rode the tram when I was there a few years ago. Here is the website that has a link about trails and scenery. I remember there being warnings about the possiblity of bears along the way when I was on the tram. I did hike the trails, but saw the trails from the restaurant on top. It was well worth taking the tram to me. You can ride it as much as you want all day for the same price. I found out that I could buy the ticket directly from the tram ticket office for the price the cruise ship was offering. http://www.alaska.net/~junotram/index.html


Hi Cometina

We were in Juneau in June and walked from Franklin Street up to the tramway terminus - a lovely walk but may be a little difficult for very young children - other than that, well worth the effort.

We just bought a couple of drinks at the top and were allowed back down on the tram - even though our purchases only came to a couple of dollars - maybe just a kind person behind the fast food counter that day!

If you decide to come up on the tram, it would be well worth the money - fabulous views, a gentle nature walk, bald eagles and also an 18 min video on the Tlingit culture in the nature centre.

Hope you have a fabulous time - we certainly did!!


Hi - I live in Juneau and regularly hike Mt. Roberts. From sea level to the tram terminal will be 2.5 miles and a 1500 foot elevation gain. The trail head is at the back of downtown and is about 300 feet elevation, so add that to whatever info on the trail you have gathered.

It depends on your kids... I%26#39;ve seen kids about five and up on the trail and they seem pretty energetic. I would plan on 1.5 - 2 hours to make it up.

At the tram terminal there are trails that go further up the mountain. They are about as steep, but are above the treeline, so a better view.

Laura


Is their a road to drive up?


My family hiked up this trail from Juneau in July of this year. It was very muddy, on a sunny day, and not very scenic. I didn%26#39;t really think it was worth the effort. Once we got to the tram area, it was beautiful. So I%26#39;d suggest taking the tram (if it%26#39;s a clear day) and then hiking around at the top.

  • cryptoapi vs capicom
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment