Monday, April 23, 2012

Inner Passage cruise 2007 - any advice?

Hi, my Mum and I are looking to travel next Aug. (only possible time)

We are considering the Princess line, perhaps one of the bigger ships, going out of Vancouver. The other option appears to be Seattle. Any thoughts? More importantly we%26#39;re thinking of adding on a landtour. Brochures offer one based around Denali Nat Park, the other also talks about Mt McKinley. We would appreciate any advice on the landtour. Is it worth staying an extra night or 2 in Vancouver before the cruise leaves?

Many thianks, AllSaints

Inner Passage cruise 2007 - any advice?

Hello Dorset,

I would definitely recommend staying overnight in Vancouver. For one, you won%26#39;t feel rushed when catching your cruise. And second, Vancouver is a beautiful city. You can take the tram up to Grouse mountain and look over the city. Also, there are cute ferries (hold only 2-6 passengers) that you can take to Granville Island for dining and shopping. You should go to the Vancouver post for more info.

Now for your other question. I took Celebrity Cruiselines (Summit) from Vancouver. It was an absolutely fabulous cruiseship. The service was excellent.

As for landtours, you should focus on the destinations you are interested in. I agree that Denali is a destination you would want to see. Mt McKinley is in Denali Park. Also, Seward is another location to visit. Take a cruiseship that arrives in Seward, and visit there for a couple of days. Then take the train north (or rent a car) to visit Denali and other sites. I%26#39;ve read that Homer is another wonderful place to visit.

Do you intend to tour on your own, or with a tour group?

Inner Passage cruise 2007 - any advice?

Hello New York!

Thank you for such a quick reply. We%26#39;re looking at packages that offer the 7 (ish)day cruise and then put a landtour on for you. From this end Princess and Royal C. seem to be most popular cruise line choices although I did come across Celebrity this morning.

I%26#39;ll take a closer look at the itinery re Seward. Thanks for suggestions for Vancouver.

What are your thoughts on paying extra for a window!!??

Whilst my Mum has hit ';spend all her well earned money'; mode...I%26#39;m (hopefully) still saving for the future and would rather spend the money on excursions!! Is it worth it when I%26#39;m more than happy to be up on deck chatting to people whilst we soak it all up!!

Thanks again, AllSaints...Dorset!


I%26#39;ve been on 3 Alaska cruises with Royal Caribbean, and have no hesitation in booking with them again. Research the itineraries very carefully - the Vison of the Seas, for example, has the worst itinerary in Alaska this year. My first cruise was in an inside cabin partly due to advice I got, and I hated it -but some people think they%26#39;re perfectly okay. A window is now mandatory for me - I need to see where I am as soon as I wake up in the morning, or even if I stir during the night (I never close the curtains).

Research again is the key when deciding on cruisetours - many are very rushed, or you spend most of your time in transit rather than enjoying the country. Independent travel takes care of that problem, as is easy to research/book online now.

Definitely allow at least an overnight in Vancouver -a beautiful city with lots to see. Vancouver departures spend more time in the Inside Passage than Seattle departures, which go west of Vancouver Island. There are pros and cons to one-ways, but I think that they are better as they allow you to see the interior.

Excursions are THE key to seeing Alaska - the ports have largely turned into crowded tourist traps. Decide on your interests and start browsing the brochures - Skagway this year has 89 excursions offered! (I live just north of Skagway)

Murray


I have to agree on many of the comments from the previous poster, Murray. I booked an inside cabin once, and I felt as if I were in a cage. But I am not a socializer either, as you%26#39;ve hinted that you are. I am perfectly happy sitting in my cabin, reading a book and looking out the window.

Remember also, that the weather in Alaska is cool, even in August. I don%26#39;t think you will be soaking it up on deck. The cruiseships provide blankets for those who wish to sit outside on the deck. If you are into the other activities aboard ship, you most likely won%26#39;t spend much time in your cabin.

I%26#39;ve never been on a Royal Caribbean or Princess cruise, which is why I didn%26#39;t endorse them. But I%26#39;ve discovered that most of the Alaskan cruise itineraries are similar.

I initially booked my land tour through the cruiseship, then ended up cancelling from recommendations from this post. Yes, you will be herded around like cattle, not being able to stay as long at a destination as you wish...or remaing longer at a destination than you care to.

You didn%26#39;t mention your health or your mother%26#39;s, so possibly a tour may be best for you. For my trip, I ended up staying at the same hotels that the tours booked, but I made my own travel arrangements with the Railroad. Also, the hotels are very accommodating, as they provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the railroad and airport. As the train pulls into a station, someone comes around to ask what hotel you are staying in, and they call the shuttles for you. Even as late as 11:00pm, the shuttles will come to pick you up. But my second time around, I will rent a car, now knowing how easy the driving is.

However you choose to see Alaska beyond the cruiseship, just do. As Murray stated, the cruise ports are over run with cruise passengers. Unfortunately, many people return home following the cruise.

Be sure to see Seward, Denali, and if you have time, Fairbanks.


Thanks to previous posters.

Just to clarify...we%26#39;re looking to cruise because I fancy something with a bit of luxury/dress for dinner etc (i%26#39;m use to ';winging it'; normally!)

However I am interested in peoples thoughts on managing to do a landtour independently after the cruise ends in Whittier. We%26#39;d be looking at 4/5 days then flying home to UK.

Would this be more expensive than the package? Obviously I%26#39;d like to keep cost down where possible.

Prev poster asked after our health...both fit for 40 and 60+!!!

Thanks for all advice. Keep it coming. Any advice on which ship...looks like Princess are favourite at the moment

allsaints


Hi,

I%26#39;m looking at doing a similar cruise to you next year and flying from the Uk. I have just found a great website www.flyzoom.com that has flights from London to Vancouver for around 160pound each way. Thats the cheapest so far that I%26#39;ve found. Thought you might like to check it out (if you find anything cheaper let me know!)


Hi...Was on first cruise this past June and cannot imagine being on one without a balcont. Thee extra $$$ was really worth it. Saw inner cabins and for me that would be like jail. I%26#39;m not wealthy in any way but the extra would be the best dollars spent.

We were on Norwegian Cruise Lines and were 100% satisified. They offer a Freestyle Cruise that alows many dining options, including formal dining optional. Check them out.


allsaints

My wife and I have just booked a cruise on the Island Princess for 20th August next year leaving from Vancouver getting of at Whittier and doing the 4 day land tour. Whitter-Denali 2days there then up to Fairbanks for 1 night.

As we are doing a train journey across Canada we only have the cruise tour without flights, so we have to get our own way from Fairbanks.

Will be posting back latter on to get some ideas on places to see and what to do on our trip

Merc.


You have received a lot of good tips so far. We are partial to Princess Cruises and used them at lot. In fact we are on the Coral next Sunday. Also plan to book the Pacific Princess for next June. This will also include one of their land excursions into Denali and Fairbanks. Interested to see Fairbanks in the summer as we have been there about three times, but only in the middle of the winter.

When you book ask for the Gulf of Alaska, not the Inside Passage cruises. They are round trip from Seattle or San Francisco. The Princess land tours appear to be the best as they have their own lodges. On my opinion they also appear to have the best railway cars.

And, if you have the time get a car following the cruise and tour and see some of some other things that may not be included. I gather that you live across the pond, so be aware we drive on the wrong side of the road. I tried driving in Penzance in 1999 and that was a disaster. If only the roads could have been wider!

I think you were asking two questions regarding Denali and McKinley and perhaps mean Princess lodges. Both are outside the park and the latter is quite as ways away, north of Talkeetna. But, on a clear day you have a beautiful view. We had rented a car in Anchorage two years ago and were driving to McKinley lodge along the Parks Highway with the Big One right in front of us. It was fantastic.


It doesn%26#39;t much matter if you leave from Seattle or Vancouver. The ships pretty much following the same route with minimal differences. Ships leaving Seattle have longer to go, so they have to travel at higher speed in order to make the itinerary work. I live near and work in Seattle, but also love Vancouver. Weather is generally similar in both cities.

Best to find the SHIP that fits you. Everything else will fall into place. With regard to window or no window... I gauge that from how many hours I plan to spend in the room. Normally, that%26#39;s not many, so I go cheap on the room and ';live it up'; everywhere else. Drawback to that is WHERE the room is if you go cheap. Sometimes it can be quite out of the way. When you book make sure it%26#39;s not near 1) the galley 2) the engine 3) the anchor chain, 4) a dance floor. Those are all sources of noise.

  • bird
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment