Monday, April 23, 2012

Alaska recommendations

Hello, I%26#39;m wanting to plan a trip for myself (man age 47) and my 18

year old son for his graduation trip. We are from south Louisiana and my son has never seen mountains. Any recommendations are

welcome.

I hear that Denali National Park is must. Besides that we%26#39;re wide

open for advice. We%26#39;re planning to stay about 10 days, next August. We don%26#39;t mind ';roughing it'; (which is why my wife is not going) but do want

to be comfortable. I%26#39;m thinking renting a car is in order, and maybe

a short fishing trip and a flight near Mt. McKinley. I realize Alaska is

a huge state and there is a lot to see. We%26#39;ve been saving a long time

for this what I hope is a trip of a lifetime so any and all advice would

be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Alaska recommendations

You%26#39;re right - it is a huge state and there are many things to do. You might want to read through some of the travel books first, then begin deciding what activities interest you - hiking, biking, kayaking, whale watching, etc. Once you have narrowed that down, there are plenty of people on this board that can help with lodging, etc.

I will give you this advice, rent a car, but not at the airport. The taxes are ridiculously higher there - don%26#39;t know why, but we literally saved a couple of hundred $ on a rental from Enterprise by renting from the Downtown Anchorage location.

Good luck.

Alaska recommendations

Hi there! Well, for fishing probably the best place to head is down on the Kenai Peninsula . . . did you want to stream fish or do a charter out in the ocean? You can do this from Seward, Homer and numerous places in between. We often go out of Ninilchik.

You might camp - that would save you some $$ - lots of people RV as well - what ever works best for you. You might pick cabin rentals over hotels, especially if you are trying to keep it somewhat affordable and that might be more adventurous since the wife isn%26#39;t along.

Yes, I think Denali is a must see - the scenery and wildlife is amazing! Make sure you take the shuttle bus into the park, and I would highly recommend a raft trip with Denali Outdoor Center - lots of fun and they have the best reputation on the river. For more park info: www.nps.gov/dena. Lots of accommodations around here, check out for many of the more affordable choices in the area: www.denalichamber.com You can do a flight see in this area, or in the Talkeetna area. I would wait and see how the weather is going before I booked this activity.

Hope this helps some! :)


It helps a lot. Thank you.

  • black hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment