Monday, April 23, 2012

thanks for all the help?

Hello, I want to thank everyone who had the patience to answer all my questions especially coalminer. We just returned last night from 10 fantastic days in Alaska. I want to make note of a fantastic little restaurant and great lady that owns the place, its called the fireweed roadhouse, its between healy and fairbanks, closer to healy. it had a great breakfast and the lady who owned it was so nice and was working very hard all by herself. Again Thank you everyone!!!!!





Lenny



thanks for all the help?


Lenny, welcome back. Happy to hear you had a great trip but we are waiting for more details.





I%26#39;m making a note of the Fireweed Roadhouse. I love Roadhouses, they are a part of fascinating Alaskan history and each of them is very unique. It looks like will be traveling from Healy to Fairbanks next year. Do you know whether she serves lunches too?



thanks for all the help?


Hello again,



I happened to notice the fireweed roadhouse on my way from fairbanks to the princess lodge the night before. we left the hotel to catch a flight out of fairbanks and had some extra time so we decided to stop and have breakfast, when we walked in the owner yelled out to us to help ourselves the coffee so we did. This place was a combination restaurant, bar and pool house with very interesting surroundings throuout. They served lunch and dinner, all home made, it also had some rooms for rent in the back. We were told when we took the shuttle bus tour to wonder lake that we were very lucky to see mt mcKinely as it was a very rainy summer. I also recommend using the shuttle bus versus those tundra tours because we saw as much if not more and was fully narrated for about half the price, what a deal. we saw bears, a moose dahl sheep and some wolves and a porcupine. it was great. of course the train ride from anchorage to seward was fabulous and the all day fjords trip and salmon buffet with major marine was unbelivable. We also stopped on the cruise ship called icey points straits and this place was super also, we also saw humpback whales.



Lenny




Hey Lenny! I was wondering when you would post and how the trip went. Yes, I want more details too! Good and bad -really. And what happened to taking me out for dinner??? Just kidding! People get so busy here . . . so how were your accommodations and your eating out? Did all the driving work out and how was the cruise portion? Aren%26#39;t you glad you combined it with your own land tour - this is a very easy state to get around in. Glad you enjoyed the shuttle ride - the scenery and the animals are amazing.





You know, in all my years, have never stopped at the Fireweed, usually because it%26#39;s not at a spot that works -either have just eaten and heading to Fairbanks, or coming home late and have already eaten. But most roadhouses are like that - the essence of informality!





More details please. :)




Hi coalminer,



I will post more details tomorrow as I am still recovering from the the 9 hours in the plane. I have never been or have ever heard of a roadhouse before. oh by the way I did think of you when i was at denali, I was wondering if you were the bus driver. and also as I drive by healy, I gased up there and asked a woman where the main part of town was and she said i was in it.





Lenny




Morning, Lenny - nope, I am not a bus driver, and yes, that is true of most towns in Alaska - blink and you may miss them! Though if you drove around, you would be amazed at what is tucked away on some side roads. Get some rest and we%26#39;ll all looked forward to those details in a day or two. :)




Welcome back Aguiar44, and join the crowd of 1st timers who absolutely enjoyed their Alaskan adventure. It%26#39;s hard to imagine that some folk don%26#39;t enjoy their trip...or don%26#39;t even want to visit. What a shame.



The name of the port you referred to is called Icy Straight Point. I agree it was wonderful, and probably the most authentic port in Alaska, as it is the home of the native Hoonahs. I don%26#39;t know what cruise ship you sailed on, but the Celebrity Summit isn%26#39;t returning in 2007. Not sure why.



My cruise report on the Summit that I wrote over a month ago FINALLY posted today on Cruisecritic.com




My mistake. The Summit is stopping at Icy Straight iin 2007. I must have looked at the itinerary of another cruiseliner.


  • No comments:

    Post a Comment