Saturday, April 21, 2012

Places to stay/things to do in Anchorage before HAL tour

We are going on a combo Cruisetour with HAL July 30, 2007. The land portion departs from Anchorage July 31, 2007 and includes hotel in Anchorage for the night of July 30.





We are arriving in Anchorage at around 4PM on Saturday July 28.





Any recommendations on places to stay and things to do in and about Anchorage? We prefer Hotels to B%26amp;B





Right now my plans are to go to Seward on Sunday July 29 and take the 11:30 six hour cruise of Kenai Fjords National Park. If I take the train motor coach combo tour we would depart Seward at 6:00PM by train. If I rent a car I would have dinner first in Seward and than drive back to Anchorage.





On the next day I thought about renting a car and driving to Portage Glacier or some other sights outside of Anchorage.





Any recommendations?





Thanks



Marty



Places to stay/things to do in Anchorage before HAL tour


I would suggest reading a post by places - who made a great list of things to do in/around Anchorage - I will bump the post so you can find it with ease.





I would look at expedia or hotel.com to see the variety of hotels in the Anchorage area, and then ask us for preferences - there are 4 star hotels and 1 star dives - depends more on your budget and the amenties that you desire. Also, which area of Anchorage you would enjoy being in - most are located downtown or midtown.





Good luck! :)



Places to stay/things to do in Anchorage before HAL tour


I went to Travelocity and came up with a number of options. What I was looking for was a hotel with free shuttle from the airport, parking %26amp; continental breakfast. I also wanted something in the downtown area for around $200/day or less.





Does such a place exist :-) ??





So far what I found as possibilities were the:





*Hampton Inn Anchorage at 4301 Credit Union Drive $197.10





*Fairfield Inn %26amp; Suites Anchorage Midtown at 5060 A Street $161.10





*Courtyard By Marriot at 4901 Spenard Road $165 (or $84 special rate)





* Inlet Tower Hotel %26amp; Suites at 1200 L Street $174





*Anchorage Grand Hotel at 505 W 2nd Street $185





Is the Captain Cook at $245 or the Diamond Center at $292 worth it?





Marty




Captain Cook is a little overpriced for what it is...simply a hotel, albeit a nice one...but the Diamond Center one is very eloquent, I%26#39;ve never stayed there so I cant recommend it on good conscience, but I%26#39;ve explored it and it seems nice, although I wouldnt pay 300 a night to stay anywhere...only when I have to...avoid the Inlet Towers though, not a nice place, and the Courtyard by Marriot is in a shady part of town...




Thanks for the advice.





How about the:





Anchorage Grand Hotel at 505 West 2Ave $185





Voyager Hotel at 501K Street $179





Westmark Anchorage Hotel at 720 W 5th Ave $199.50





Fairfield Inn %26amp; Suites 5060 A Street $161





Marty




Marty



I stayed at the Homewood Suites (not really downtown, actually closer to the airport).......It was REEEAAALLY nice......My sister was there on business, so it was already paid for, but I think it was less than $200 per night......it had a full kitchen (even dishwasher) king bed, sofa/bed......the hotel also had a small indoor pool and hot tub......work out equipment, computer room......and free hot breakfast buffet.........complimentary airport shuttle




For a July/August Trip how soon to you think I need to book things like hotels, car rentals, excursions from our cruise tour etc...





Do the hotels and tours book up early?





Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment