Saturday, April 21, 2012

Port or starboard ??

Can you please tell me if it really is important to be on starboard side of cruise ship northbound. Most of the Princess rooms on that side are booked already for next year.



Port or starboard ??


According to our travel agent (who makes 2 to 3 Alaska cruises a season with Princess), the answer is yes. When we went in September she booked us on the starboard side. We were on the Island Princess.





The reason, when you%26#39;re in port you%26#39;ll have a view of the town. It didn%26#39;t really matter in Skagway because the only view was a rock wall with all sorts of hand painted signs on it. Interesting but different. But it did make a difference in Ketchikan. It was beautiful pulling into that port as the sun was rising and watching the town come to life.





But Alaska is so amazing that I wouldn%26#39;t let side of ship availability stop me from going again.



Port or starboard ??


I%26#39;d recommend the starboard side because it has the best views northbound (in my opinion). Although if I were to take a cruise I wouldnt spend much time in my cabin when the sun was up and there were things to see.




The Starboard side inbound will put you on the land side, so you will see more of the scenery if you are looking out from your cabin often.





Flying is also a time to think POSH like an Alaskan - Port Outbound (from Alaska) Starboard Homebound (to Alaska). That puts you on the side with the land view with mountains and glaciers you will never see otherwise.





71

No comments:

Post a Comment