Wednesday, April 25, 2012

help again coalminer

When I land in anchorage about 8:30pm I was considering getting a hotel there and having the tour company give me a ride to seward to see the kenai fjords the following morning. Now I am thinking it might be better to rent a car at the airport and drive half way to seward and get a room somewhere. Does this sound like a good idea? and can u rent a car at the airport and drop it off in seward. I would also have to get to the royal caribbean cruise ship after this tour to check in for the cruise. are there any hotels between anchorage and seard and how is the drive. is it a highway? Thanks



Lenny



help again coalminer


Good Morning, Lenny! Well, you could rent a car and drive to Girdwood . . . it%26#39;s a ski resort area about 45 minutes from Anchorage - beautiful area and some top notch hotels and restaurants, BUT you don%26#39;t want to miss this drive (the whole drive from Anchorage to Seward) . . . it%26#39;s one of the most scenic in the state . . . and by the time you get your luggage, get car, etc., it%26#39;ll be well after 9 when you finally get on the road. It still might be a big light . . .the Anchorage folks would know better than I would about how much daylight they have right now. And yes, it%26#39;s a highway - the Seward. You might really enjoy staying in Girdwood . . . and it would take time off your drive in the morning.





I believe that there is one rental car agency that allows you do drop in Seward - I think I read that it%26#39;s Hertz, but I am not certain.





Good luck! :)



help again coalminer


thanks again coalminer, I think I will stay in girdwood I am in the process of finding either a b%26amp;b or motel off the side of the road. if you know of one let me know. someone told me to be careful about driving at night with moose in the road, is this true or was he playing a joke on me?





lenny




Hitting a Moose is no joke Lenny. Yes, moose and other wildlife are on the roads. And you can%26#39;t see the glow from there eyes as you can with deer. Be very careful.




Here is a site that might help you with finding accommodations in Girdwood: www.alaska.org/girdwood/girdwood-hotels.htm





No, he wasn%26#39;t joking about the moose in the road -deadly serious in fact. Hitting a moose is about like hitting another car - they usually land on the top of the vehicle and it can cause serious injuries or even fatalities for the occupants. A good reason to never drive too fast and really see what%26#39;s in or near the road. If one is near the road, slow down - you never know if they will run across the road. Hope that helps you some! :)




thanks coalminer, i am having a real problem finding a car rental agency that will allow me to pick up at anchorage airport and drop off at seward. hertz is only one i can find and they want$175 for less than a day.





Lenny

No comments:

Post a Comment