Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cell phone coverage

Can anyone tell me if I will have coverage with Cingular wireless or should I purchase a trac phone-visiting the Anchorage area and 200 mile radius.

Thanks

Cell phone coverage

I just returned from a trip to Alaska and I was surprised with the coverage with Cingular. Service was good in Anchorage, great in Denali (entrance), Talkeetna downtown, Girdwood, Seward and I was surprised that it was working at the long rifle lodge (near Matanuska glacier). But it was intermittent and you would lose it quick as you left the cities. So, it depends on how much you need it and if you can wait till you get to these places or would need to use it on the road.

Cell phone coverage

Did you check the Cingular coverage map? Pretty much looks like they cover they population centers and the main highways; wander far and you%26#39;ll lose coverage.

But would a trac phone do any better? Don%26#39;t they still rely on towers?


The Cingular coverage map is not really accurate for Alaska. They show coverage in places that there is not a signal, including places inside both the Anchorage and Fairbanks city limits.


Does anyone know if T-Mobile or Verizon has coverage?


I have Verizon, and had no problem getting service in Anchorage, Seward, Cooper Landing or Homer last month.


We used to be on AT%26amp;T wireless which was absorbed by Cingular. One of the reasons we went AT%26amp;T (now Cingular) was the Alaska coverage.

There was an incident one winter five years ago when we forgot our cell phone in a restaurant near Cooper Landing. We had visited Hope and were on the way out and realized we left the phone back at the restaurant (senior moments). We drove back and got it. Ten minutes later it rang and it was our daughter informing us she was going to have a boy. So the cell phone works along the Sterling Highway. Cell phones also work in Homer.


I have Sprint PCS and they gave me free roaming (analog and digital) within my plan. I simply asked and didn%26#39;t expect they would do it, but they did. The only problem I had was when I got the bill, they charged for roaming, but later took off the charges when I explained the situation I kept the signal on auto, but noticed in many places, it was actually in digital roam. Might be worth asking at least.


Like everyone else has said, Cingular has great coverage in AK. The friend traveling with us who had Sprint could did not have much luck anywhere, while our Cingular worked beautifully. I even had a voice mail message come in while we were in the middle of the Kenai National Park, on a cruise - I couldn%26#39;t believe my ears when I heard the tone signaling a message had just be received!


does anyone know about Alltel coverage?


I travel to Alaska to see my son a couple of times a year and have for the last 8 years., I have Alltel. You have to either ask for the ';Total Freedom'; plan, or get extra roam minutes. Some of the new people or someone not familiar with the map will tell you that ';National Freedom'; covers but IT DOESN';T! The area looks blue but is the light blue and they don%26#39;t notice that it is not the dark blue on the map. You will be charged a lot if you stay on national, because it is all roam while you are there if that is the plan you have and cost about a buck a minute.

Insist on Total freedom, it is not listed as an option because they don%26#39;t usually need it but in Alaska that that is the plan with no roam. Every time I travel, i get someone from Alltel that tries to tell me that National covers. You can change your coverage for a month, half a month or what ever, but it is cheaper than paying for roam. You will still have mobile to mobile, and free nights and weekends but will be limited to 1000 minutes on them.

Are you using the ';Circle of friends? With the total freedome $59 plan, you can put 10 of your most often called numbers in, and it doesn%26#39;t count against your minutes. I change my circle of friends to cover any numbers like my son%26#39;s work/home/cell, and numbers back home. I always have plenty of minutes that way.

Hope this helps.

  • software
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment