Thursday, April 19, 2012

Anchorage Accom downtown in Feb (Iditarod)

Hello,



I%26#39;m looking for somewhere to stay right in the centre of town before %26amp; after the Iditarod 2007. Is accommodation going to be scarce / really expensive around that time? I stayed there a really long time ago, but in summer. I think in winter, it%26#39;s best to be well located as I%26#39;m dreading going outside, coming from the middle of summer! I guess I don%26#39;t want a super expensive hotel, but nothing scary either. I like the idea of a smaller place / B %26amp; B but don%26#39;t think that will be possible as I want to stay right in the middle of the city.



Any ideas or recommendations would be great!



Location is my main priority.





thanks, Julie..



Anchorage Accom downtown in Feb (Iditarod)


Julie, Iditarod starts on March 3rd. My suggestion is to make reservations today. We made reservations in the beginning of September in Marriott Downtown for $105 per nigh on the concierge floor. Today the same room goes for $175. Tomorrow will be even more expensive. What I like about Marriott is that we stayed there a few times before and know what to expect. The beds are marvelous and breakfasts are included. Also I am able to cancel until 6 pm on a day of arrival and at this point it looks like we won%26#39;t be going.





Anyway, don%26#39;t wait. I%26#39;m sorry I cannot recommend any B%26amp;B in Anchorage that would be within walking distance to 4th Avenue where the official start takes place. There are plenty of lodging available right now but don%26#39;t wait until you arrive in Anchorage or you may have to share a room with a couple of huskies.



Anchorage Accom downtown in Feb (Iditarod)


Hi, please do make reservations NOW! You might look at the B%26amp;B tab for hotels in Anchorage here on TA - there is one hotel downtown that is not fancy but it is clean and definitely decent - Anchorage Downtown Hotel - their room prices have been great in the past - they are listed under hotels here. You will be pleasantly surprised by the weather. The temperatures will be around freezing but, if there%26#39;s sun and there usually is in March, it will feel much warmer than you think - lots of visitors tell me this. Bring layers rather than a heavy coat - a standard anorak with a knit hat and warm gloves over a sweater with jeans and boots with warm socks will definitely be enough unless we have some truly freaky weather! You might find you don%26#39;t wear the anorak at the warmest part of the afternoon. I often wear a windbreaker jacket and a warm sweater in March. Hope this helps.




I%26#39;d heartily recommend %26#39;A Wildflower Inn%26#39; on 13th Street - about 10 minutes easy walk to downtown. Prices are about $80 per night too.



It has very spacious, comfortable rooms, and Allan, the host, is great and really helpful.





Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment