Thursday, April 12, 2012

Brits flying to Alaska!

Fly Globe Span a Scottish airline have just announced that they will be flying London Gatwick to Vancouver next year.





This would be good for anyone going on a cruise or like myself thinking about an overnight stop somewhere.





I would think there will be some good deals once they release the tickets.





If you have not heard of them, they are one of the new breed of low costs airlines who are flying transatlantic - they have a good reputation at the airport I work at.



Brits flying to Alaska!


Number eight - This looks pretty useful, thanks.





Any idea which airlines fly onwards from Toronto (Hamilton) to Fairbanks or Anchorage Alaska?





If I can crack this, then I%26#39;m 100% further forward than I have been for many months. I%26#39;m having huge difficulties trying to book a flight from Scotland to Alaska. I%26#39;m spending so much time on the internet trying to organise this for our silver wedding anniversary next year that my wife is accusing me of neglecting her!





If anyone else can tell me how to book flights from Scotland to alaska from June 9th - 23rd 2007, I will be eternally grateful.



Brits flying to Alaska!


Hi, you can%26#39;t get there from here....meaning there are no flights to Anchorage or Fairbanks from eastern Canada or the UK. You have to make connections through Vancouver or one of several cities in the US. Take a look at kayak.com for prices on a multitude of airlines - just be sure to check the flights on the airline before you book because sometimes the airline will have a webfare that is less dear. You are flying at the very peak season so it is unlikely that you will get any bargains - be prepared to pay at least $1200 to $1500 each return and very possibly even more. There is a route you may want to consider - Condor (Lufthansa%26#39;s charter line) flies Frankfurt to Anchorage every week in the summer. Maybe you could try that. Seems to me they also do Fairbanks but I could be mistaken about that. Hope this gives you a couple more ideas! I fly to Europe and/or the UK regularly and am always looking for good fares and short times.




Check fly globe span as they are also thinking of doing Glasgow to Vancouver.





Our thoughts are get to Vancouver and then book a separate flight with Alaskan airlines. I know Fly Globespan are alo flying from a variety of UK destination to Toronto from next summer. From what I can see is you can get to Seattle or Vancouver you can get the link. I also found some good links via Chicago.





With the Fly Globe Span coming on we are expecting a bit of a price war as Zoom airlines also fly to Canada from UK another low cost airline. Should give BA a kick to get their prices down.





Some airlines are routing via Atlanta Georgia which seems a very long way round!





The way I do it is go on the airport web site and look at the arrivals and departure real time information to see who is flying where





I have also looked at Condor which goes from Frankfurt, for me I could do that as I live near to Stansted so I could get a cheap flight to Frankfurt Harn and get a taxi across, but we%26#39;d prefer a stop over in Vancouver.





Unfortunately if your are flying from the UK you cannnot book on US web sites, i%26#39;ve been looking at STA travel, airline network and cheapflights.co.uk. I have always had good service from the first two as they can help with unusual requests. Also air canada may do the trip with a stop in Vancouver.





Hope this helps, if I hear of any more I%26#39;ll let you know. My colleagues are currently at a bit airline/airport conference at the moment trying to get more airlines to fly from the UK airports. So expect some new routes to come on shortly.




Argassi1, we live in the UK and have just come back from a 3 week holiday in Alaska. I too spent many hours on the internet, trying to find the best way to get there, driving my husband mad. In the end, I decided I wanted the longest legroom for the longest length of time, and as upgrading on the likes of BA was out of the question due the cost for 4 of us, I felt that Zoom (upgrading to premium economy) to Vancouver, then Air Canada would work well. We overnighted in Vancouver both ways, staying in the Airport at the Fairmont Hotel. They looked after our luggage on the way home so we could get a taxi in to Vancouver for the day.





This worked out to be the cheapest, most comfortable, and easy way, to get there. My only concern is that when these charter flights are on time etc, they are fantastic value, but they have very few planes, so when they have a problem, your trip can go badly wrong - a risk we were prepared to take.





I hope you sort your trip out, Alaska is an amazing place, your wife will appreciate your efforts when you get there.




I should also say, I booked direct on the internet with both airlines, as I failed to get a better price anywhere else.




Lazigirl - Thanks I followed up your suggestion and for the first time, I%26#39;ve managed to get flights from Glasgow to Vancouver then onwards to Anchorage. A major break through for me!





I haven%26#39;t committed myself to these flights yet but I probably will very soon. They work out at around £650 total per person which seems like good value to me.





Thanks again to everyone that has provided me with advice on this.




Hi





which airline did you book your transatlantic flight with was it Zoom?




I haven%26#39;t booked the transatlantic flight yet but yes Zoom seemed to be the easiest to process on the internet.




Hi numbereight,



We spent two weeks in Alaska this May and had an absolutely amazing time. We flew to Vancouver with AirCanada, had an overnight stay in the Marriott Pinnacle then boarded a weeks cruise to Anchorage. We then stayed on land for a further week, before returning to Vancouver for a few nights before flying home.





Alaska is an unbelievably beautiful place with lovely, friendly people and I couldn%26#39;t recommend it more. The photo accompanying my user name was taken on board our cruise in Glacier Bay and if you%26#39;d like to see further photos email me.





It%26#39;s great news that budget airlines might now be flying out to Vancouver which will make access to these fabulous places so much cheaper!!



Try www.airlinenetwork.com for a comparison on all airlines flights/prices to the destination that you want. It%26#39;s an easy and straight froward site to use and you may be surprised with the results that come up. The site basically checks all of the different airlines databases for flights, matching the details that you have entered.



Also try www.cruisecritic.com for a forum on cruises. An area of the site is dedicated to alaskan cruises and all the different cruiselines that operate there. You should be able to find the link to the Alaska forum from their home page.



Good Luck!!



nikki.mcguffie@hotmail.com




Argassi1, glad to be of some use. If you%26#39;re looking at charter airlines, you could also look at Thomas Cook, (booked through Canadian Affair). They are similar price to Zoom, also go from Scotland, (I think). We went with them last year, but overall prefered Zoom this year. Also Alaska Ailines fly between Vancouver and Anchorage, but for us the Air Canada price/timing was better.





Do remember though that you do get what you pay for, and these charter companies do have considerable delays if they have , lets say, a technical problem. We countered that to some extent by our overnights in Vancouver, if you do the same, look at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, it%26#39;s a 5* hotel at reasonable ( by UK standards )rates. It would also be a wonderful place to start your holiday and is so easy, trundle your luggage trolley to the other end of the building and you%26#39;re there! The views from the rooms are amazing. Just be careful how you book it, some web sites insist on 3 days notice of cancellation, we got a great price on the hotels own website, with 6pm that day cancellation, so if you had a long delay, you could cancel.





I don%26#39;t know what you are planning to do in Alaska, but the interior is amazingly beautiful and varied, I think it would be a shame to go all that way and just do a cruise. Being able to choose where, and when we went to places, altering our itinery according to the weather ( from mid August to early September, we had floods, snow and cloudless Tshirt days) and being able to stop and admire ,take photos whenever we wanted , made our holiday. But, however you go, you will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment