Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Arctic Circle

I know this is really crazy, but I doubt that I%26#39;ll ever get the chance again, so I would like to make it to the Arctic Circle when I visit Alaska this summer. I realize it%26#39;s about 125 miles north of Fairbanks on the Dalton Highway, and also realize that the road leaves much to be desired. What I don%26#39;t know, though, is whether or not this route is forbidden by the rental car companies, or if it is allowed, are you required to rent a specific type of vehicle. Also, how long would it take, considering the road conditions, to drive to that point and then turn around and come back to Fairbanks? Thanks is advance for all your help and suggestions.

The Arctic Circle

If you search the Alaska forum here you will find several posts on this. But yes, most rental companies won%26#39;t let you take their cars there. There is at least one company that will but I%26#39;m not sure of the name, Outdoor something I believe. Weather and road conditions will affect your travel speed greatly. When I went this summer we were barely ever able to go over 45 mph. Good luck and have a great vacation.

The Arctic Circle

Yes, I saw the other posts after I had written (was searching Alaska on the Trip Advisor rather than Fairbanks). Thanks so much for the reply, though, because you gave me information that I did not find elsewhere.


jairn,

I felt exactly as you did several months ago. I just had to visit the Artcic Circle while in Alaska. When would I ever have the opportunity to again. No, your desire is not crazy. I have a wondefurl keepsake photo proving that I was at the Arctic circle...and for that, I am extremely greatful.

HOWEVER (there is always a ';but'; or ';however';), be prepared for disappointment. There is unfortunately, no welcome center, no restaurant, no picnic area, no facilities...nothing but a sign that states Artic Circle. The area is no where as scenic as many Alaskan photo stops. I guess I was looking for a magical neon line that ran across the earth. Oh well. At least I have my photo : - )


Here is the link to the story of my Brooks Range trip with a stop at the Arctic Circle sign and even better, Coldfoot.

http://www.cloud9doula.com/brooks_range.htm


Perhaps you could also consider a day trip by plane across the circle... there are options with a company called Northern Alaska Tours and also through Alaska Airlines Vacations.

NAT has flightseeing, driving and combo trips all from Fairbanks.

Alaska Airlines has a day trip to Barrow from Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Enjoy the north country...


1stimestar, what a great review. Thanks for sharing


1stimestar.... Fasinating report ... thanks for sharing.

  • myspace quiz
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment