Sunday, April 15, 2012

Driving to Alaska from lower 48

I want to drive to Alaska from the Chicago area next summer. I can get 4 consecutive weeks off work. I know this isn%26#39;t enough time to take a very liesurely, stop-off where ever I want kind of trip. But is it enough time to get there and back (via the ferry from Alaska to Washington) and have some time for visiting parks, etc.





Can I count on 50mph on the paved roads? or are the conditions very questionable and it could go much slower.





Just trying to figure if 4 weeks is enough to get me there and back. I%26#39;ll take my time in Alaska in future years vacations... but I%26#39;ve always wanted to drive there the first time I go.



Driving to Alaska from lower 48


Hi there! Sounds like a great adventure, as long as you enjoy driving, as it will entail quite a lot. First purchase a Milepost - it will be a great resource for you as you go thru Canada and up into Alaska.





If I were you, I would choose a route that takes you thru Glacier National Park, and then into the Canadian Rockies and those National Parks as well - Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise and all that. It%26#39;s stunning scenery.





I think I would also go in to Alaska on the Alcan and then perhaps take the Cassiar when leaving - you can also see a bit of the SE of Alaska on this route, as you can take a side trip to Stewart BC and Hyder, Alaska. The Cassiar is the only route that has some unpaved sections, but it%26#39;s not bad - that would be the only place where things would have to be slower. The rest should be regular highway driving.





I would also be well prepared in my car - don%26#39;t know if you are planning on camping, but you should keep a sleeping bag in your car, some food/small cooler, water, and basic auto repair gear. Though the road is well traveled in the summer, it%26#39;s still good to be prepared no matter when you drive the road. I hope this helps get you started. :)



Driving to Alaska from lower 48


I made the trip several times in the 70%26#39;s and 80%26#39;s and took about 10 days each way to drive the 4000 miles from Fairbanks to Cleveland, Ohio. If you count the 20 days travel on the road as part of the fun and adventure, you are well set. Unless you drive longer per day or faster per hour, that leaves ';only'; 8 days in Alaska - but it is doable and can be enjoyable if you like long distance driving.





I would also suggest plotting different routes up and back to maximize the experience, and perhaps come up through Banff %26amp; Jasper Provincial parks and return to Seattle or Vancouver on the Marine Highway System. That latter will give you a 3 day break heading south, seeing the South East from the boat as you relax from driving before hitting the last leg home from the West Coast to Chicago.





Think it over, and keep kicking it around on this forum for additional ideas as you own ideas develop!





71




Going up the Alaska Highway is pretty cruisy, it is paved and you can maintain decent speed. The speed limit varies from 80 to 110 kph (50 to 68 mph).





Other folks suggested routing via Glacier, Banff NPs. I might save them for another trip since they aren%26#39;t that far from Chicago, head directly to the Alaska Highway, so that you have more time in the far north.





As mentioned, get a copy of the Milepost, it is a great reference for planning your attack.





Good sidetrips ... Atlin, Dawson City, Chicken, Haines, Skagway.





A long soak in Laird Hot Springs ... Camping on Muncho Lake and Kluane Lake ...

No comments:

Post a Comment