Friday, March 30, 2012

Glacier gardens

Hello Again!



I am thinking of visiting Glacier Gardens and have booked Harv and Marv%26#39;s whale watching tour. My questions are as follows:



1. How much time should you allow yourself at the gardens?



2. How much are taxis?



3. Can you take a bus there and see it on your own?



Dilema



My whale watching tour starts at 2:00 and I would not have enough time to go to gardens. If I take the later tour at 5:00 will I have less chance of seeing the whales?



Please advise,



Debbie



Glacier gardens


Hi Debbie!





The whales voted to quit wearing watches this year, so the time of day for your ww tour with H%26amp;M won%26#39;t matter. As for Glacier Gardens, I recommend you call them directly. They%26#39;ve got some very detailed and specific information they can give you regarding how long to allow for their tour.





Now that we have our new overpass and a better way on and off the highway, I would be surprised if most of the tours in Auke Bay that offer drops/pickups at Mendenhall won%26#39;t also see the wisdom in dropping/picking at Glacier Gardens too.





A taxi should run about $20 each way, but you don%26#39;t want to waste time going all the way back to the ship between tours. Maybe a taxi to get to GG, then have H%26amp;M pick you up there for your ww tour, and they%26#39;ll get you back downtown. I don%26#39;t like to mess with the bus when time tables are tight and getting somewhere at a specific time is important.





Happy Alaska Travels!



-Case



Glacier gardens


Dear Can Can,



You crack me up! Thanks for the great info. I realize my question sounded silly, but sometimes animals have a pattern or have a tendency to do things more at a certain time of day or high tide or low tide. Have a great day!



Debbie




Hi Debbie!





Glad to brighten your day. The humpbacks come here to eat. It%26#39;s a bit like the 24-hour buffet on your cruise ship... Whale%26#39;s are there eating at all hours of the day. When the tide turns or the ship goes a different direction, the heavy feeders just go to the other end of the buffet line where the new spread was just laid out.





Happy Alaska Travels!



-Case

No comments:

Post a Comment