Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alaska cruise - westerdaam- Holland America

We are in the last stages of choosing an alaskan cruise. We are in our 30s and enjoy beautiful views and wildlife. I am trying to decided weather or not to spend an extra $500 for a veranda with plexiglass balcony vs the lesser veranda that has a steal railing and blocks some of the view. Does it really make a difference ?





Alaska cruise - westerdaam- Holland America


There is no ';right'; answer just lots of opinions so I will give mine.





I had a balcony on Princess my first Alaska cruise and an inside cabin on Celebrity my second Alaska cruise. Both cruises I spent way more time out on deck toward the front of the ship where I could get a full panoramic view of things.





I would save the $500 and use that for shore excursions.





John



Alaska cruise - westerdaam- Holland America


Much more significant is the fact that the tempered glass railing blocks the wind - the steel railing blocks very little of the view, though. If you have the extra $, I%26#39;d say go for it. I have to budget, though, so just book oceanviews and spend the saved money on good excursions, which is how you see the real Alaska.





Murray




Came across your post...My wife and I are thinking of going to Alaska also. We are from Wilmington. Did you select a month considering the weather (wanting to avoid rainy months) and are you doing a cruise/land trip?




Avoiding rain is my number 1 priority as well. Historic weather averages ( www.youralaskacruise.com/cruise-weather.html ) show late May and early June to be the driest period, and our 3 Alaska cruises in that time frame have worked out beautifully.




Thanks for the link referencing weather and other things. Very helpful.




which shore excursions would you recommend. We are into natural beauty and wildlife. Would you recommend we book on our own or through holland america. we will probably be going the first week of june. seattle roundtrip--- Glacier bay, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and victoria---





thanks for your input so far




If you were going back - would you prefer HAL or Princess?





We are planning a cruise from seattle to alaska leaving last few days of August for 7 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment