Friday, March 30, 2012

7 days trip in August recommendations

Hi





I am planning a trip to Alaska (arriving-leaving from Anchorage) of about 7 days in August, and I would like to know which places are the best to see. We plan to hire a car and we would like to see beautiful sceneries and villages. What would you recommend?





Thanks



7 days trip in August recommendations


Hi joan, welcome to TA.





It would help if you let us know your interests: fishing, hiking, kayaking, goldpanning, bear-viewing, marine wildlife, land wildlife, calving glaciers, walking on a glacier, flightseeing, rafting, etc.?



7 days trip in August recommendations


Welcome to TA.





I assume since you are renting a car for a week you are considering flying into Anchorage?





What types of things besides scenery are you interested in? Wildlife? Glaciers? Hiking? Shopping? Boat rides?





With a week, not knowing anything besides what you wrote, I would suggest something like the following. It also depends on whether your 7 days means 6 nights or 7 nights. Let%26#39;s assume 7 nights (8 days).





Day 1 fly into Anchorage. If early enough in the day, see something in Anchorage.





Day 2 drive to Denali NP. Stop in Talkeetna for lunch. See exhibits and film at visitor center and sleddog demo





Day 3 8-11 hour shuttle bus to Eielson or Wonder Lake. Incredible scenery, excellent chance to see wildlife





Day 4 drive back toward Anchorage. Stop in Wasilla, Independence Mine area, Palmer. Perhaps stay in Eagle River?





Day 5 drive to Seward, stopping on the way in Girdwood and at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center.





Day 6 at least 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Park cruise. Great scenery, glacier viewing and marine wildlife





Day 7 perhaps Sealife Center and/or Exit Glacier, drive back to Anchorage





Day 8 fly back home (if a red eye flight, see more in Anchorage).





John




Yes I am flying to Anchorage.





My interests?



Well, I was thinking about staying one day in Anchorage to shop a little bit but for the rest of the days I would like to see a little bit of everything.



I prefer nature and sceneries (i don%26#39;t mid hinking but not the whole day) and I am not planning to practice any extreme sports or go fishing.





Thank you





PS: I am from Spain and I don%26#39;t really know what I can find in Alaska. I don%26#39;t know anyone who has been there.



PS: It doesn%26#39;t have to be exactly 7 days.




and I was just wondering where you were from - I have some Alaska friends heading to Spain in a week. There daughter is doing a semester of college in Spain and they thought it was the perfect opportunity.



Okay - if you can, do stay for as long as you are able. Alaska is huge, and the more time you can be here, the more you can enjoy it. If you can add even a few more days on to your 7, I would expand on the itinerary that John gave you, and add Homer for a few days as well. Maybe Fairbanks for an extra day, and/or another day in Denali. There is much to see here, even if you are just driving around looking at the incredible scenery.



Just to prepare you though, most towns in Alaska are very small . . . Anchorage is our largest city at 250,000. Happy planning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment